Name:
Location: Greenbelt, Maryland, United States

Friday, April 08, 2005

Desert it was

So after dilly dallying all through yesterday i decided to go to a desert. I thought driving would be fun and in any case i hadnt yet seen a desert at all. So immediately after attending the morning session of the conference i headed to rent a car. The ladies (2 of them) at the rental desk advised me against driving to the moab desert since that would be a 4.5 + 4.5 = 9 hr drive and that would mean i will have to drive up the mountain after nightfall. Moreover they warned that it was gonna snow pretty badly. I was almost convinced. They even gave me alternatives...The little Sahara a small desert that was about 2 hrs drive from Snowbird. But then came intervention in the form of a Southern Californian male who used to ski a lot. He drove the point real hard when he asked me...
"What the heck man. When are you gonna come back to Utah. In the worst case u might have to spend the night in the car. Is that so bad afterall? I would do it any day to get away from it all!!!"
So that made my decision and i started my drive to the Moab desert around 11 AM. The drive was long ...But well worth it. I hadnt seen anything like it before. There was huge barren lands filling the entire horizon and right at the very end of the horizon tall mountains, most of hard red rocky faces but some with snow covered tops. This was absolutely amazing view. I could only imagine how beautiful sunrise there would have been. Eventho i missed sunrise i was lucky enough to catch a glimpse of the sunset on my way back. I stopped at a couple of gas stations to fill up energy for both my Pickup Truck and myself. But apart from that it was just one unending great road trip. I even made a brief 10 minute stopover at the Arches National Park which has some amazing views. BTW, i forgot to mention...The reason i was in such a hurry was because the next session of the conference began at 8:00 PM . So i wanted to be back round about then.

Anyways, after 9 hours of non-stop driving i was back at Snowbird at 7:54 PM. Good timing i would say. BTW the snow was slightly late in its arrival and was just about picking pace as i was making the last half hour of the journey. So there were no snow induced worries there. I should mention this here....This is THE ONLY PLACE I CAN THINK OF where during the day it was 70 degrees farenheit (thats about 28degrees celcius i think) but now during the evening its snowing like crazy. Its supposed to accumulate more than 16 inches of snow by the time the sun rises tomorrow.

Anyways, i didnt take too many pictures because even tho i enjoyed the drive it must be said, that it would have been about a thousand times better with friends...Nature was there displaying its glorious colors. I was there to watch the resplendent colors. But my friends werent there for me to really feel the joy of consuming natures glory.

1 Comments:

Blogger Vijay said...

Can we see some pics of this place that ye speaketh about... You can share thy bliss... 'nuff Bard talk... post some pics

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home